Sunday, May 24, 2009

Square Foot Gardening































These are the flowers that I plan to put in my 4 Square Foot Garden. See the photos of my progress. Kerry helped me assemble the box, mix the compost, peat moss and perlite to put in the lined box.(lining is a weed blocker fabric which allows moisture to pass through) Hubby helped me drill holes so that I could get the cross pieces in place. These help to keep plantings separated. The theory is no weeds to battle, and you can grow about anything in only 6 inches of dirt. Plantings can be a mix of flowers and veggies. These flowers are marigolds and red vinca. A friend gave me 3 seedling tomato plants which I have now installed in their respective squares. It is probably too late for the tomato plants because it is going to get exceedingly hot. I have bush bean seeds, zinnia seeds, and coleus seeds that I will be planting also. When we get to the cooler growing season I will try some root crops like carrots, beets, onions, radishes, etc. Oh, I am going to put in some lettuce and spinach too.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Very nice! I am excited to see how everyone's squares grow!